Friday, August 10, 2007

Nicaragua: God's Surprises Are The Best

The first night of the campaign, it became apparent that we needed a new translator for one of the sites. (Franci and Joy's site). After calling all the pastors we found there simply weren't any more translators to be had.

One of our young translators named Alex (one the left) told me about a friend of his. He said "Lyndel (in the grey on the right) would do a great job but there is one potential catch. He is not an SDA, but a Baptist."

"Will he translate and not embellish what he hears? If so we need him."

So Lyndell began translating for us. At times he would stop in the middle of a sermon and stare at Franci (the young 14 year old preacher) in shock at the truth she had just preached. Adventists believed some things he had never realized were in the Bible.



Towards the end of the meetings, Lyndel came over with a big grin on his face and said, "Mom, (he had adopted me as his other Mom) I have made a decision! I must be baptized but I want you to baptize me, please?!"

I explained that I wasn't a pastor so therefore couldn't baptize him.












But on the day of his baptism, I assisted the pastor in the baptism! God had done it once again, turned our problems into our greatest blessings!
















But God wasn't finished! We had come to bless others, to love them, and to tell them about a soon coming Savior. However, we found that we ourselves were blessed probably even more than the over 500 people who were baptized.
(Some of which were baptized in the most unique places!)






You see God cares about our USA young people too.

We had kids on this trip that had been raised in SDA families or were attending SDA schools but who hadn't been baptized yet. We also had kids who wanted to be re-baptized. Their reasons for it varied, but most would tell you that "I now know what I want to do! Regardless of my future career, I want to dedicate my life to telling others about the awesome God who is now my best friend!"




Cayla was my neighbor's child at an Adventist Academy where we used to teach. She had been begging me for years to take her on a mission trip. I kept telling her she had to wait till she was 13, but finally I decided to take her this year even though she is only 12.












Noel is another 12-year-old that I met while telling stories in the Junior Sabbath school of the St. Louis General Conference Session in 2005. She was only 10 years old but Noel was already a missionary. She came to the Share Him booth and passed out magazines by the hour trying to inspire others to go tell the world about her Jesus! She kept asking me, "Are you sure I have to be 13 years old before I can go with you?" Since Noel was 12.5 years old I decided to surprise her with an invitation to join us on this trip! Noel was so excited she could hardly sleep.











I think Noel and Cayla will be coming on many more evangelistic trips. Their enthusiasm and hard work are contagious!









Carrie is the 9 year old daughter of a family that came with us on this trip. Carrie is a very sweet girl who is always helpful and ready to share a smile. Carrie did a couple of health talks for her Dad's meetings even though she is only 9 years old. Maybe next time, Carrie, you will co-preach a campaign?





Kiersten is a senior in academy who is mature beyond her 17 years. She is the one that many kids her own age will turn to with their problems because Kiersten genuinely cares about their pain. Kiersten was a great first time preacher who was able to make her church family feel loved.







Raelene is a very sweet girl who loves the Lord. She loves to give hugs and be a real friend. Raelene is also gifted with massage and often after hours of working on sermons, you could see her giving team members a much needed neck and shoulder massage.












There was one young lady who was struggling with her decision. Here we are after praying and talking with her. In this picture she had just said, "I do want to give my life to Jesus and be baptized!" As you can see it was an emotional time for all of us! Sometimes tears a good thing, it means incredible joy and I am sure the angels of heaven were throwing a party because of Savannah's decision!










Savannah being baptized!

















As a result of Savannah's baptism, Sam, another 12-year-old who had come with his Dad (Arlain) and sister (Katie) was in the valley of decision.











But Jesus won the battle for Sam's heart and he was baptized as well in that hotel pool. (Y0u ought to hear Sam preach! God has packed a lot of dynamite into that 12-year-old!)













I can't wait to spend eternity with this awesome group of kids, teens, and adults that were a part of the team in Nicaragua! There is a difference between good kids and on-fire kids, and it is incredible to work with kids who are willing to put Jesus first in their lives! I truly think there is nothing more rewarding than working with teens, young adults,

or young-at-heart adults, in sharing the gospel! Join us next year with your friend or parent and see for yourself that there is nothing God can't do!





(To join such a mission trip go to www.sharehim.org)

3 comments:

Katie Hickman said...

wow this site is awsome ;) thanks 4 setting it up mom ( shes my adopted mother too )


love ya

Noel said...

as katie alrady said this site is SO COOL!!!!!! thanks mom lol

raylene said...

hey mom the site is really really cool i sure can wait till next year...love you and i love the site it is reall awesome...love you mom..